The word “icebreakers” usually conjures up a mental image of an awkward conversation, boring questions, and wishing you were just about anywhere else. But let’s reframe what icebreakers can actually do for your organization and your team! 🙌
💡 Your teams are composed of people from all walks of life, with different skill sets, communication styles, and stories to tell. Can you imagine the work (and fun) that could get done if everyone could understand each other just a little bit better?
But bringing a team of different people together for a common cause is a little more complicated than hosting a daily stand-up meeting or sitting teams in coworking session. Sometimes, a good round of (actually fun, non-yawn-inducing) icebreaker questions can do the trick.
On top of that, a round of good icebreaker questions can:
At Confetti, interesting and funny icebreakers are kind of our specialty. Second to team-building, of course. All of our games and activities are designed by experts to bring your teams closer together and help them work better as a cohesive unit.
So, let’s get into some of our G.O.A.T. (greatest of all time) icebreaker questions:
What’s your middle name?
What’s your favorite food?
Booooo. Let’s skip to the good stuff. 🤩 When it comes to icebreakers, we want icebreaker questions for work that will induce giggles and facilitate deeper connections and conversations.
1. What piece of advice helped your career the most?
2. What are the top 3 items on your bucket list?
3. What’s your favorite way to unwind after work?
4. What song do you embarrassingly know every word to?
5. What fashion trend are you glad is gone?
6. What fashion trend would you like to see come back?
7. What’s been your favorite team moment at work so far?
8. What was your very first job?
9. What’s your “comfort” movie or TV show?
10. What did you eat for breakfast?
11. What’s your go to karaoke song?
12. What is your biggest guilty pleasure TV show?
13. Would the person you are now be friends with your middle school self?
14. If you were in a circus, what would your act be?
15. Describe your high school experience in 3 words.
16. What song makes you want to roll the windows down and sing along?
17. What’s your favorite quote, and where’s it from?
18. What’s the worst career advice you’ve ever been given?
19. If you had an extra hour every day, how would you use it?
20. What was your very first job?
21. What piece of advice has helped your career the most?
22. If you could work your current job from anywhere in the world, where would you work?
23. Who’s your professional inspiration?
24. Are you a dog person or a cat person? Why?
25. If you were a baseball player, what would your entrance theme song be?
26. What would your “cartoon character” outfit be?
27. What’s your all-time favorite TV show?
28. What’s the worst movie someone has ever told you that you “HAVE” to see?
29. The zombie apocalypse is coming – what 3 co-workers MUST be on your team?
30. If you were left on a deserted island with either your worst enemy or no one, which would you choose? Why?
31. What are your top 3 emojis?
32. If you could clone yourself, what would your clone be doing right now?
33. If you were on a reality show like the Real Housewives, what would your tagline be?
34. Would you go on a UFO if you were invited?
35. Be honest — if you don’t tuck your feet under the blanket at night, do you think a monster will get them?
36. Who on your team is the R2D2 to your C3P0?
37. What’s a GIF that describes your week?
38. Would you rather go back in time to meet your ancestors or go to the future and meet your descendants?
39. If you could only eat ice cream or pudding for the rest of your life, which one would you pick? What flavor?
40. Would the person you are now be friends with your middle school self?
41. The object to your left is your weapon in the apocalypse. What is it, and do you think it will help?
42. Would you rather live on the ocean or on the moon? Why?
43. Quick! Open the last book you read, turn to page 65 and give us the line out of context.
44. What’s the best trip you’ve ever taken?
45. What is the one place you’re dying to visit?
46. Where did you go on your honeymoon? Or, what’s your dream honeymoon destination?
47. Would you rather travel by car or plane?
48. Do you prefer to stay in a hotel or an AirBNB?
49. What musician have you most consistently listened to throughout your life?
50. What is the best song from your Spotify Discover weekly?
51. If you had to swap places with one celebrity for a week, who would you pick?
52. What fictional world would you want to live in?
53. What song makes you want to roll the windows down and sing along?
54. Have you ever met your idol or someone you look up to?
55. If you could see one movie again for the first time, which would you pick?
56. If you could snap your fingers and become THE expert in one topic, what would you choose?
57. If you could create a movie guaranteed to be an Oscar winner, what would it be about?
58. If you could change your name right now, would you? What would your new name be?
59. What topic could you give a TedTalk on right now?
60. Would you rather always be 15 minutes late or 1 hour early?
61. Would you rather have a maid or a personal chef?
62. Would you rather find a rat in your kitchen or a roach in your bed?
63. Would you rather have to hunt for your own meat or never eat meat again?
64. Would you rather spend a year completely alone or a year with the most talkative person you know?
65. What is your biggest goal for yourself in the next 5 years?
66. What book, movie, or work of art has made the biggest impact on you?
67. What’s the most important part of life to you?
68. Do you believe in soulmates?
69. What is the kindest thing a stranger has ever done for you?
With a little help from Confetti, you can breeze past the awkward small talk and skip ahead to the good stuff–a team that knows how to work together cohesively and productively. Breaking the ice is about more than helping your team loosen up; it’s about helping your employees be more comfortable and communicative with one another.
If the questions alone aren’t enough, check out a few of our signature ice breaking games: Water Cooler and Ice Shaker. These two conversation starting activities are sure to bring your team together. And we’ll plan it for you!
When you’re gathering the team for a virtual meeting, there is no better way to get started than with a couple of fun, weird, or insightful icebreaker questions. Not only does this start the meeting on the right foot, but it invites your team members to open up, contribute, and ask questions during the meeting.
The best first step is to bookmark this page! Here, you’ll find the only list of work friendly icebreaker questions you’ll ever need to start every meeting off on the right foot.
Ask insightful questions and encourage fun conversation! Just because it’s work doesn’t mean that there can’t be a little fun and games. Fun team building activities can reflect positively on your team’s positivity, teamwork, and help them build a healthy work/life balance.
Whether your team prefers hands-on activities or solving fun puzzles, Confetti has the activities you need to encourage teamwork and fun in the workplace! Check out our New Experiences collection and Team Building Games collection for some fun ways to bring your teams together virtually.